InterContinental Stephen F. Austin Hotel
©2017 Ted Lee Eubanks
The hotel first opened its doors at 700 Congress Avenue on May 19, 1924 in the heart of downtown Austin, Texas, four blocks from the State Capitol. Originally named, “The Texan” by builder T.B. Baker, local citizens quickly rallied to rename the stately building to memorialize beloved statesman and Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin.