1936 United States Courthouse
1936 United States Courthouse in Austin. The federal government built this courthouse during the New Deal, and part of the funding came from the PWA. Well-known local architect Charles H. Page of C. H. Page and Son (which later became Page Brothers, Architects), in association with New York architect Kenneth Franzheim, designed the building. The design exemplifies the PWA Moderne architectural style of many Great Depression-era public buildings.
U.S. Senator Lyndon Johnson kept an office here. "Lyndon B. Johnson assumed the office of U.S. Congressman from Texas’s 10th district upon the death of Congressman Buchanan. As a U.S. congressman, Johnson moved into a suite of second-floor offices in the southwest wing, which he kept until 1949, when he became a U.S. senator. He then moved his offices to the first floor of the wing and remained there until after the beginning of his vice presidency in 1961."
With the opening of a new federal court building in Austin (next to Republic Square), ownership of this building has recently been transferred from the GSA to Travis County.